I've been thinking a lot this past week about what Elder Bednar refers to as, the "tender mercies" of our Heavenly Father. He describes tender mercies as seemingly small or insignificant "coincidences" that come just when we need them most (if you want to read his talk, click here). Today in Sunday School, someone said that coincidences are miracles in which God chooses to remain anonymous. I liked that. I think there's no coincidence too small or seemingly impertinent that our Father in Heaven doesn't have a hand in. Several ward members shared personal experiences wherein something little or small happened to them through which they felt the love of our Heavenly Father. My favorite story was the one shared by Elder J. David Cornish in the October 2011 conference:
When I was a young resident physician at Boston Children’s Hospital, I worked long hours and traveled between the hospital and our home in Watertown, Massachusetts, mostly by bicycle since my wife and young family needed our car. One evening I was riding home after a long period in the hospital, feeling tired and hungry and at least a bit discouraged. I knew I needed to give my wife and four small children not only my time and energy when I got home but also a cheery attitude. I was, frankly, finding it hard to just keep pedaling.
My route would take me past a fried chicken shop, and I felt like I would be a lot less hungry and tired if I could pause for a piece of chicken on my way home. I knew they were running a sale on thighs or drumsticks for 29 cents each, but when I checked my wallet, all I had was one nickel. As I rode along, I told the Lord my situation and asked if, in His mercy, He could let me find a quarter on the side of the road. I told Him that I didn’t need this as a sign but that I would be really grateful if He felt to grant me this kind blessing.
I began watching the ground more intently but saw nothing. Trying to maintain a faith-filled but submissive attitude as I rode, I approached the store. Then, almost exactly across the street from the chicken place, I saw a quarter on the ground. With gratitude and relief, I picked it up, bought the chicken, savored every morsel, and rode happily home.
In His mercy, the God of heaven, the Creator and Ruler of all things everywhere, had heard a prayer about a very minor thing. One might well ask why He would concern Himself with something so small. I am led to believe that our Heavenly Father loves us so much that the things that are important to us become important to Him, just because He loves us. How much more would He want to help us with the big things that we ask, which are right (see 3 Nephi 18:20)?
What a great story. Our Heavenly Father knows us each personally, and knows our individual needs. He loves and cares for us more than we can fathom.
Now. I'm sure your wondering why the long preface to what I have to say (either that, or you've quit reading by now out of boredom). Our little family has been so blessed. I can truly say that we have been guided and blessed by our Heavenly Father in innumerable situations, and that I'm constantly in awe at how much my Heavenly Father cares about our young family living in the middle of nowhere-Wyoming. I am humbled by the interest He takes in my silly day-to-day needs, worries and wants, and am overcome with gratitude that He continues to manifest His hand in all things, no matter how seemingly insignificant.
I have been so overwhelmed these past few weeks. My scheduled due date was originally the 3rd of December, but was moved to the 13th. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned, but we're moving the 10th!! Plane tickets have been bought for my parents to help, moving dates have been set, and things are in order for us to move that day. At this point, it's not negotiable. This past weekend has been especially overwhelming in the fact that Shaun's defending his thesis tomorrow, I haven't even begun to pack because I'm so tired, and at my appointment on Wednesday, my doctor lectured me on how "inconsiderate" to the baby it was to move around his scheduled due date (as if I don't already feel guilty enough!!). She told me this in response to me asking to be induced so that I could safely move across 3 states. I haven't truly thought about what to do with our older boys when I'm in the hospital, and there's so much to do with so little time. Needless to say, I've been worrying about how things will work out for our little family.
This morning, we all woke up nauseous (we ordered a pizza last night, and I think it was off a little). We were all miserable (including poor Riley and Brecker) and went back to bed until 11:30. We missed sacrament meeting, but when we all woke up, we were feeling better so decided to go to the second and third hours of church.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love our ward? As soon as we walked in, we started talking with friends, and I was telling some of the ladies my woes of the nasty doctor. Apparently, the "good" OB/GYN (who also happens to be in our stake) was our high counsel speaker today!! He's been booked for my last 3 appointments (which explains why I've been seeing the nasty lady), and there's been no way for me to see him. Well, it just so happens that I was able to catch him and explain my predicament.
Dr. Klingler was so sweet to me, and told me that there's no reason this far along that they can't help progress things (I'm over 38 weeks, and both Riley and Brecker were born 38 weeks to the day with no complications and having large birth weights). He told me to call first thing in the morning, and tell the nurses that he'd spoken with me and to squeeze me in as soon as possible. What a relief!! So, it's all going to work out!! This baby should be here by the end of this week, hopefully (obviously, there are a lot of variables at play, but we'll see)!!
I know it's such a silly little thing to be so worked up about, and even my wonderful husband teases me a little, but for ME, this is the best thing that could have happened at this time. Even if things don't go how I plan for them to this week, it's just the little reassurance to me that my Heavenly Father knows me personally, and knows my situation. I feel so comforted and reassured today all because of this little tender mercy.
I know that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I know that He is mindful of me, and blesses myself and my little family. I know that He sent His Son to suffer for me so that I can return to Him someday. I am one lucky girl.

8 comments:
Jenny, that is so great! I hope everything works out smoothly. Keep us posted on if you can get induced. I will be around until Friday and would be more than happy to take your boys.
LOVED that post Jenny! That is SO NOT a little thing and thank you for reminding me of all the tender mercie in my life!
We all need these sweet reminders. :) I'm happy to take your boys. Let me know when you get induced. I'm sure we can make it all work out. Yay for babies and good doctors! :)
How great, my dear! I am so happy to hear that things are going as well as they are and that you'll have another handsome little man in your arms soon! Keep your chin up, you're doing great! Love you!
OH JENNY! I wish I was there, then you could just bring your boys up stairs!!! Klingler was AAAAA-MAY_ZING in the delivery room with Toby, I hope that it works out for you to have him. Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of your little man!
What a sweet blog post, Jenny. I love that reminder about the tender mercies of Jesus Christ! I am also happy that you will be able to have your baby soon! I had no idea you guys were moving! I hope that it all goes smoothly and you can relax and recoup after all this! I wish I lived closer to help you! Good luck! Can't wait to see your little baby's pics on Facebook!
What a great post! I'll ditto everyone else, please call if you need anything! We would love to help! I haven't seen the "nasty lady" yet (hee hee) but I've heard she really is nasty and I'm sorry you've had a rough time with the docs here. :(
You ladies are all truly wonderful. Thank you all so much. The appointment today went well, I'm dilated to a 3, 75% effaced, and he said baby's down and we're good to go!! He said to aim for Thursday, but Friday at the latest if the hospital's busy (poor Riley, that's his birthday!) =)
Post a Comment