3.16.2013

To Shaun

I've been thinking about something for some time, and finally wanted to jot a few thoughts down on the matter.

What is true love? There is a notion in our society that it's the superficial, constantly flirty and affectionate actions two people show towards each other when things are going well. It's the idea of "if this person really loved me, they wouldn't say or do stupid things". Well. Almost six years of marriage later, I'm here to tell you that it's a darned good thing that's not the case! You put up with a whole lot of stupid things I do and say.

We are still so young in our marriage, and have much to learn, but I've put together MY list of what "true love" really is.

 And so.... Dearest Shaun,

-True love is taking over my half of the bed when I'm up with kids, because you're trying to find me to cuddle with

-True love is fighting over who gets to take the sick kid to the doctor, because you never want to miss a waking moment in our children's lives

-True love is waking up, coming home, and going to bed with a goofy little grin, a twinkle in your eye, and a sense of satisfaction for days well spent

-True love is the little and big ways that you try a little harder every day to be a little better.

-True love is letting me come with you to McDonald's after I make an unpalatable meal

-True love is holding my hand during a miscarriage: letting me cry, and crying a few tears yourself, knowing that even though your heart aches, things will all be OK.

-True love is pulling me into the pantry to hide from the kids, eat chocolate and steal a kiss or two... or three....

-True love is the way you flatter my mom, so as to vie for the spot as favorite son-in-law

-True love is being supportive of all of my dreams, and pushing me to be the best I can be

-True love is admitting your mistakes and weaknesses, and trying to make them better

-True love is teasing me about my unrealistic drama

-True love is telling me you want to have more children with me, even when our three boys are running around wildly in their underpants, screaming at the top of their lungs

-True love is the way you make me laugh every day, and keep me on my toes

I truly love you with all of my heart

No comments: